Office of the Mayor
Get to Know Joe
Joe Kilsheimer has lived in Apopka for more than 25 years. He has made his home in Central Florida for more than 45 years. He is a 1979 graduate of the University of Central Florida.
Mayor Kilsheimer is married to Cheryl Kilsheimer. He has two grown children.
Mayor Kilsheimer began his career as a journalist, working at The Orlando Sentinel for more than 20 years. At the Sentinel in 1994, he created the newspaper's cyberspace/technology beat, covering the rise of the Internet as a cultural phenomenon. His articles appeared in publications ranging from the Chicago Tribune to the Washington Post to the Los Angeles Times.
Prior to his election, Mayor Kilsheimer was president and founder of Joe Kilsheimer Consulting Inc., a public relations and public affairs firm based in Apopka. He represented some of Florida's leading companies, specializing in organizations with thorny PR issues.
Joe Kilsheimer began serving in public office with his election to the Apopka City Council, Seat 3, in April 2012 and was elected Mayor of the City of Apopka in April 2014.
Mayor Kilsheimer's record of community involvement and service also includes:
- Board member/Vice President, Lake Apopka Natural Gas District, 2016-Present
- Committee Member, Florida League of Cities Energy and Environmental Policy Committee, 2016-Present
- Graduate, Leadership Apopka (Class 1)
- Graduate, Leadership Orlando (Class 52)
- Board chair, Sustainable Florida, 2010-2012
- Board chair, City of Life Foundation, 2011-2013
- Board chair, Apopka Historical Society, 2013-2014
- Former board member, Apopka Area Chamber of Commerce
- Former board member, Down Syndrome Association of Central Florida
- Former board member, Center for Independence Training and Education (now Lighthouse Central Florida)